In our society, everybody talks continuously about stress, but what does it mean? We can distinguish two types of stress:
– positive stress, which we seek ourselves; a challenge, romance, etc.
– negative stress, which we feel is imposed, and against which we are powerless.
Positive stress makes us stronger, negative stress weaker.
What are the different kinds of negative stress?
Negative stress can come from the cold, heat, noise, excessive physical exercise, mental and emotional stress, forced physical limitations, overstimulation of the senses, toxic chemicals, eating too much, not sleeping enough, and even pregnancy.
How does the body respond to negative stress?
1. Alarm response: the body shows restlessness, nervousness and “the jitters”.
2. Resistance: the body will try to restore the damage inflicted by restoring its own biochemical functions. If the emergency supplies are sufficient to conquer the stress, the person will adapt and restore.
3. Exhaustion (when the stress is too strong): this is expressed by enlarged adrenals and a weakened immune system. The overly stressed person will get adaptation diseases, such as high blood pressure, fluid retention, arthritis, cardiac enlargement, attacks, stomach ulcers, kidney diseases, pre-eclampsia, allergies, diabetes, neurological disturbances, or cancer.
How can acupuncture help?
The human body is like a battery. It will empty if it is not kept charged. A battery has a positive and negative pole with energy flowing back and forth when the conditions are right. The positive pole corresponds to the mental: detecting, memorising, emotions, etc. The negative pole corresponds with the physical, and also the energy reserve: the organs and the related functions. The more we are stimulated and stressed, the more life energy has to flow between the poles of the battery, the more the energy is used up and the faster the battery empties.
When our batteries are almost empty, adaptation diseases appear.
Acupuncture is an ideal way to balance the energy flow between these two poles (on the one hand it will calm the stressed mind and on the other hand it will improve organ function). This way, the battery will not run out, we feel better in our skin, and we have a smaller chance of getting ill.